Colette Laurel Pattern Review

by Sew Sarah

Now I am not a shift dress person. I am short and anything that isn’t nipped at the waist makes me look like a sack of spuds.

So when Colette Patterns launched the Laurel last year, I wasn’t really sold. But as I saw more and more people, with an assortment of body types, make the dress, I started to reconsider.

So, not wanting to be the one who misses out, I jumped on the bandwagon as well.

I found some lovely spotted cotton (with a tiny bit of stretch) at Spotlight. I think it might be a cotton chintz. It has the look of sateen but not as thick or as stretchy.

The construction was super simple and knocked it up in a few hours including matching bias binding.

The diamond darts at the back give it that needed shape.

I didn’t even bother with the instructions, it was sooo simple.

However, next time I make it I will add a little more length. Also, the sleeves were a little tight but actually think that I will need an fba. I think that is what is constricting the sleeves.


I have already started another version but went up two sizes as I was too lazy to do a fba, I wanted something loose fitting and the fabric was some sort of shiny chambray and had no stretch…..cutting corners does mean an unsatisfactory result. It was way too big. I also added some length and it comes half way down my calf!

Doh. But actually, I think I can fix this pretty easily. I also want it to be a comfortable shift to hang around the house in the evenings and weekends.

I want the finished product to look a little like this dress I saw in David Jones a few months ago (I think it may be French Connection).


A project for a rainy day I think!



Follow my blog with Bloglovin